The Caer Alyn Archaeological and Heritage Project: Progress
Archaeological progress so far ...
As at May 2007, both of our areas of excavation, trenches 14 and 15 are now gridded and linked to OS. An area site grid is now complete covering approximately 20,000 square metres. This site grid consists of 100m grid squares with the trenches at 5m grid squares, thus enabling planning and surveying at various scales and using multi and single context planning strategies.
This lies to the east of the project area.
Work on this trench has focused on three areas:-
Firstly:- Sondage A (a large trench was cut 2m by 8m running on an approximately north-west by south-east alignment in the north-east section of the trench. This sondage was cut in order to interpret the relationships between linear features that may be a bank and ditch. Pottery retrieved from this sondage has been dated from the late 15th century to the 19th century.
Secondly:- Investigations in the south-east section have revealed more features which are either pits or gullies of medieval or post-medieval date; these having yielded post-medieval pottery sherds and a 16th century coin.
Thirdly:- This mainly involves cleaning back the top soil and debris covering much of the western end of the trench.
This lies to the north of the project area and was opened during April 2007 after preliminary survey involving geophysics, topographic and aerial photography. The prime objective of this survey and excavation is to examine an area north of the project area where a medieval platform appears to be located. After conducting the pre-excavation survey, a trench measuring 20m x 1m was opened to investigate anomalies revealed during the survey, particularly a post-medieval collapsed boundary wall. There may also be evidence of a ditch located 5m further to the south-east of this wall.
Summer 2007 investigation will continue in Trench 14 and 15. In particular, a full landscape survey will be undertaken to examine the promontory hillfort together with a small excavation on part of the hillfort, monitored by CPAT (Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust) and pertaining to CADW's permission.
| CBA, St Mary's House, 66 Bootham, York YO30 7BZ.
tel: +(44) (0)1904 671417 | fax: +(44) (0)1904 671384 | email: