This is an old revision of CawoodCastleGarthProject from 2010-06-08 08:35:09.
Cawood Castle Garth Project
IntroductionFunded by a Local Heritage Initiative grant , this Project's initial aims were to raise awareness and investigate the archaeology, history and natural heritage of the Cawood Castle Garth. This is a Scheduled Ancient Monument at the centre of the village and is an important amenity. The Cawood Castle Garth Group wish to raise awareness of the rich natural and built history of the area, which is the site of a medieval castle, and the former palace of the Archbishop of York.
The group has carried out geophysical and topographical survey and an access survey involving the local community and students from York University. Events such as 'mole hill days' have also been organised with local school children examining pottery and other finds retrieved from the mole hills, and we are planning to extend our investigations through further geophysical work and fieldwalking.
The LHI grant was given primarilly to fund access improvements to the site and to provide 3 interpretation boards. The community will design and produce archaeological trail leaflets (500 copies), nature trail leaflets (500 copies). The group also has close links with the village school and will produce an A-Z of Cawood (based on Common Ground's toolkit for communities), this will be printed and distributed throughout the village (1000 copies).
We will also produce a web site in the near future to provide information on the work and show a zoned map of the Garth (printed copies will also be available on request). The group hope that this map will help local people to be able to use the area for events without damaging the site.
| CBA, St Mary's House, 66 Bootham, York YO30 7BZ.
tel: +(44) (0)1904 671417 | fax: +(44) (0)1904 671384 | email: