This is an old revision of DyffrynCrawnonProject from 2009-08-27 11:31:08.The Dyffryn Crawnon Project 2009
The Dyffryn Crawnon Project 2009 is run by Llangynidr Local History Society. The society, established in 1983, exists to promote local history in south Powys. The village of Llangynidr is situated in the Usk valley and includes upland moor, agricultural land and riverside. The area has been inhabited for over 4000 years. The oldest recognised sites are bronze age. There is at least one hill fort within the community and a variety of monuments from prehistory. A major Roman route into mid Wales passes close by. There is a significant medival settlement. The parish church is dedicated to St Mary and St Cynidr, a well know local saint, probably a son or grand son of Brechyniog, the local king.
Each summer LLHS runs a project, usually an excavation, and in the past we have discovered the Maerdy (bailiff's house), looked at an upland farmstead at Blaen y cwm, a hill fort at Lanfawr and undertaken upland survey. This year we are beginning a project to look at settlement in the Dyffryn Crawnon - a very remote and beautiful valley stretching from the village centre into the Brecon Beacons.
Why are we doing this? The manor was mapped in 1587 for the Lord, the Duke of Worcester. These maps are drawn to a common scale of 22 yards to 1 inch. All of the lord's lands were recorded in 54 (some argue 55) maps across all his South Wales holding. At least 5 of them deal with land within the current parish boundary. These very priceless documents are now the property of the National Library of Wales. We would like to use them as a base to see how the landscape has altered in 430 years. With later estate maps from 1760, drawn for the same purpose, we are able to trace changes, or in some instances, lack of change down the ages.
For more information and a daily update of the project visit our blog at
| CBA, St Mary's House, 66 Bootham, York YO30 7BZ.
tel: +(44) (0)1904 671417 | fax: +(44) (0)1904 671384 | email: