This is an old revision of Excavations2006to2007 from 2012-10-17 19:12:56.BroughtonProject Excavations2008to2011
The Friends of Active Archaeology continued their evaluation at Broughton during 2006-7. T3 was extended and almost completed; T4 and T4X1 were completed, these are planned to be extended again next season. The geophysical survey was extended and appears to show a possible building outline on an east west alignment. This bears a resemblance to the small villa described by Ramm (1977) at Settrington. It is also possible that this is a farm building associated with a nearby as yet unidentified villa or indeed an unidentified ladder settlement associated with the Malton to Hovingham Roman Road.
T3 was extended to further investigate the v-shaped ditch. This extended right across the width of the trench and no variation in its route was found. During 2005 the ditch fills had been found to contain considerable amounts of Roman period pottery. Grey wares, Gritty wares, Mortaria and sherds of Parisian Ware from at least two vessels. Significant amounts of roof tile, Imbrex and Tegula suggest a structure of some importance existed nearby. To add to this a single female inhumation was found in a cist grave, this had been inserted into the backfill of a gully adjoining the larger ditch. The burial in the gully represents the final phase of the site. Aligned N-S with a votive offering of a chicken on the right shoulder; iron nails possibly made into a hair clasp and hobnails were also found within the grave. At the time of this report we weren’t sure if this burial was Roman or Post Roman!
T4 consisted of an area of several layers of limestone rubble containing Romano British material. The compacted rubble had been covered in layers of clay also containing Romano-British material. The extension of the trench into the area of the building shown on the geophysics discovered several phases of activity. An area of limestone rubble appeared to be a levelled floor surface and a wall foundation beneath this corresponded with the alignment of a high resistance feature seen on the geophysical survey. In an earlier phase not seen on the geophysics was an apsidal ditch which in turn had cut through another earlier phase consisting of hearths/fire pits and a kiln like structures, representing small-scale industry. The whole of the North end of the trench showed scattered evidence of burning.
Unknown action; the action name must not contain special characters.
| CBA, St Mary's House, 66 Bootham, York YO30 7BZ.
tel: +(44) (0)1904 671417 | fax: +(44) (0)1904 671384 | email: