Norton Community Archaeology Project: Introduction
Norton is one of three historic villages that make up the world's first garden city of Letchworth Garden City, founded in 1903 (the others are Willian and Letchworth). The placename is first recorded in a charter of Aethelred II dated 1007 but archaeological evidence shows that its roots go back much farther in time.
In 2006, Letchworth Museum and Letchworth Garden City Heritage Museum held a joint exhibition on Norton, as a result of which interest was expressed in forming a community archaeology group to increase knowledge of the historic parish.
We have set out a five year plan, invlovling a mixture of fieldwork (including excavation, test pitting and field survey) and documentary research. It is hoped that we can use this as a basis for attracting a level of funding that will keep the project going.
The project has its own website∞ and there is a blog∞ where fieldwork projects are described on a day-to-day basis.
| CBA, St Mary's House, 66 Bootham, York YO30 7BZ.
tel: +(44) (0)1904 671417 | fax: +(44) (0)1904 671384 | email: