Public History conference 2008
A major conference on public history, held 10-12 April in Liverpool.
Registration is now open for the conference 'PUBLIC HISTORY', organised by the Institute of Historical Research, University of London; University of Liverpool; and National Museums Liverpool. This is the annual winter conference of the IHR, 2008.
Conference website: www.liv.ac.uk/history/public-history∞
This major international conference develops debates 'on the uses of history for public purposes and the involvement of the public in the study and consumption of history' that began with conferences at the IHR in February 2006 and Swansea University in 2007. It offers a meeting ground for those in the higher education, museums, heritage, and commercial sectors, and members of the public.
Early registration recommended. Registration fee for the whole 3-day event is only Â£80. Liverpool in April 2008 will be an extremely popular destination. We urge delegates to make accommodation arrangements as soon as possible. Suggestions on website.
To register for the conference, please download the registration form∞ (RTF). You can also register by contacting Samantha Jordan∞ by email of telephone 020 78628756.
Some 50 speakers from seven countries in three continents will explore the nature of the relationship between academic history, museums, the heritage sector, and popular culture; current issues in the investigation, preservation, and presentation of historic environments and museum collections; and the challenges that public history and 'knowledge transfer' pose for the professional practice of scholars, their scholarly values and ethics.
In core strands, speakers from three continents will explore:
- The Professional Practice of Public History in North America and the UK
- Museums and Identity: City and Minority Museums
- How do we Remember Slavery? International Museums and Sites of Public History
- Public History in Theory and Practice: Art, Archeology, Film, Sport
- Sandy Nairne, Director, National Portrait Gallery, London
- Rt. Hon. Frank Field, MP
Other key speakers include:
Public History Professors
- Rebecca Conard, Middle Tennessee State University
- David Dean, Carleton University, Canada
- Dr Thomas Thurston, Yale University
- Prof Helen Weinstein, University of York
- Kevin Fewster, National Maritime Museum, London
- Dr Christoph Grunenberg, Tate Liverpool
- Wayne Modest, Institute of Jamaica
- Lonnie Bunch, National Museum of African American History and Culture, Smithsonian Institution, Washington
- Don Henson, Council for British Archaeology
- Dr W Richard West, National Museum of the American Indian
- Profs Jonathan Harris, Richard Kronenburg, and WR Lee, University of Liverpool
- Prof Sam Davies, LJMU
- and many more!
We plan to disseminate the conference papers and discussions via:
- a book of selected conference proceedings
- audio files of selected papers published on the IHR website
Please circulate this information as appropriate.
| CBA, St Mary's House, 66 Bootham, York YO30 7BZ.
tel: +(44) (0)1904 671417 | fax: +(44) (0)1904 671384 | email: