This is an old revision of Stirchley from 2012-03-06 19:41:33.
Following an initial excavation at Hinkshay, NexusHeritage have developed a series of community archaeology workshops focused around the Stirchley ironworks and associated features, in TelfordTownPark.
The Stirchley furnace site was built in the early 1820s by Thomas Botfield. The three Botfield brothers owned several ironworks in Shropshire; indeed their Old Park works was the second largest in the country in the first decade of the 19th century. The Stirchley furnaces site was part of an ironworking complex that also included a canal wharfs, ironstone and coal mines, the Stirchley forge, and workers' housing at Hinkshay.
Later, the former furnace site was used as a chemical works, and the slag heaps were mined for use as roadstone and as aggregate in concrete. Recent project work has focussed on the 20th century StirchleySlagWorks. Future work will also look at Stirchley forge and other sites in the Botfield empire; this will be led by the Wrekin Historical Group, the Friends of Telford Town Park and other local groups.
More information about the Stirchley site can be found by clicking on this link∞.
Go back to the NexusHeritage community archaeology page, or visit our website∞.
| CBA, St Mary's House, 66 Bootham, York YO30 7BZ.
tel: +(44) (0)1904 671417 | fax: +(44) (0)1904 671384 | email: